From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 05:27:29
1 On 15-09-2014 15:58:00 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > > If the argument is that there are no Changelogs in rsync, then let's write
3 > > git hooks to generate them when the repository is mirrored to the rsync
4 > > host. The only problem I see is with this is then adding ChangeLog to the
5 > > manifest and gpg signing it which has to be done at the developer's side.
6 > > But, I think the tree that users get from rsync should have the logs.
7 > > Having *both* a ChangeLog file and git log is redundant.
10 > I'll add this to the next Council agenda. I think this is ripe for
11 > discussion. The last discussion of this really wasn't aimed at git
12 > anyway.
13
14 Not sure if you've read the discussions that were done on this topic.
15 The Council decided (due to git and auto-generation of ChangeLogs) that
16 ChangeLogs need to be amended, updated or changed. That to fix
17 misleading typos, and more. ChangeLogs are meant for our users. For
18 this reason repoman was changed to update the ChangeLog automatically on
19 commit, if no changes to this file had been made.
23 Fabian Groffen
24 Gentoo on a different level