From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: wes chow <wes@×××××××××.net>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper Gentoo Name (was License criteria for Gentoo)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:23:50
1 On Wednesday 25 September 2002 21:57, wes chow wrote:
2 >
3 > Good point... here's the subtle difference that I overlooked: Gentoo is
4 > Portage plus a collection of ebuilds. The analogy, then, is that RedHat
5 > and SuSE use the same distribution method (RPMs), but consist of packages
6 > built by a different group of people. (note, I have zero experience with
7 > SuSE, so I could be far off the mark) Thus, if you rip out Portage and
8
9 That's about right
10
11 > start your own collection of ebuilds, you will no longer have a Gentoo
12 > system. I think this is a resonable distinction, because a different
13 > group of developers would manage that collection and have its own set of
14 > bugs and userbase and file layout, etc.
17 That's how I see it.
18
19 > A distribution is a collection or package of software. I don't see why
20 > the contents of any package should dictate the name of that package. I
21 > don't follow that logic.
24 Neither do I. It is though sometimes usefull for people to have some
25 indication in the package name of its contents.
26
27 Paul
30 Paul de Vrieze
31 Junior Researcher