From: wes chow <wes@×××××××××.net>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper Gentoo Name (was License criteria for Gentoo)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:57:46
1 > > The car analogy isn't so useful becuase it's important that we do what's
2 > > right, not that we do what already has a precedent. Gentoo is Portage.
3 > > Portage needs GNU utilities like a fish needs a bicycle.
6 > No, gentoo is as much portage as Redhat is rpm. If that were the case SUSE and
7 > Redhat would be the same, as they are both rpm based.
8
9 Good point... here's the subtle difference that I overlooked: Gentoo is
10 Portage plus a collection of ebuilds. The analogy, then, is that RedHat
11 and SuSE use the same distribution method (RPMs), but consist of packages
12 built by a different group of people. (note, I have zero experience with
13 SuSE, so I could be far off the mark) Thus, if you rip out Portage and
14 start your own collection of ebuilds, you will no longer have a Gentoo
15 system. I think this is a resonable distinction, because a different
16 group of developers would manage that collection and have its own set of
17 bugs and userbase and file layout, etc.
18
19 A distribution is a collection or package of software. I don't see why
20 the contents of any package should dictate the name of that package. I
21 don't follow that logic.
24 Wes