From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tests
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 06:56:19
1 Am Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2007 schrieb Rémi Cardona:
2 > Piotr Jaroszyński a écrit :
3 > > On Tuesday 01 of May 2007 21:53:36 Maurice van der Pot wrote:
4 > >> I'm not sure why this is a reply to my message instead of the
5 > >> message I replied to. They both provide more or less the same
6 > >> choice to the user.
7 > >
8 > > Err I wasn't providing any choices for users yet, I only thought
9 > > about the below as things that can be wanted by users/devs and
10 > > asked whether I missed something. How we will end up distinguishing
11 > > them is another story...
12 > >
13 > >> - run all tests
14 > >> - run only reasonable tests
15 > >> - run only necessary tests
16 > >> - don't run tests at all
17 >
18 > Philosophical question :
19 >
20 > What's "reasonable"? Where do you draw the line? Same question for
21 > "necessary".
22 Re 'necessary': Tests for scientific packages are surely necessary, i'd
23 even claim they're mandatory. Nothing is as bad as having a program
24 that yields unreproducable (read: wrong) results.
25
26 Been there, seen that, had the primordial urge to kill things.
27
28 Danny
29 --
30 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
31 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list