From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default blank lines for error, elog, einfo, etc
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 01:40:44
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 20:52 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >> I think a more ideal solution, less drastic to implement might be
4 >> allowing 2 arguments to be passed. So you could do like
5 >>
6 >> elog "" "A blank line precedes this one"
7 >> elog "A blank line follow this one" ""
8 >
9 > Actually 3, not sure there would be any need for more. 3 for 1 liners
10 >
11 > elog "" "USE flag milf not set" ""
12
13 Well, I'm not sure how that adds anything over just using echo, and if I
14 simply wanted to statically insert a blank line, I'd rather use echo on
15 a separate line in the ebuild, since that would be more clear.
16
17 The problem with a simple echo is that no "*" appears on the left to
18 maintain continuity with the rest of the output - and in a color that
19 makes sense in the context (maybe this isn't a "problem" - it depends on
20 whether that visual continuity is desired).
21
22 Also, there are those times when inserting a blank line depends on what
23 comes after (or before) - and if a "*" is used, the color depends on
24 this too. That can only be solved at a higher level (i.e. in portage).
25
26 This is all just food for thought. I happen to be into aesthetics (and,
27 BTW, I think Gentoo does a great job already in its use of colors,
28 etc.), so I think it is important to think about these things, but it's
29 certainly not the *most* important issue to ponder. :)
30
31 -Joe
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list