From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default blank lines for error, elog, einfo, etc
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:42:38
1 Joe Peterson wrote:
2 > The problem with a simple echo is that no "*" appears on the left to
3 > maintain continuity with the rest of the output - and in a color that
4 > makes sense in the context (maybe this isn't a "problem" - it depends on
5 > whether that visual continuity is desired).
6
7 The far biggest problem of echo is IMHO that it's not part of the elog
8 framework, which means you will see only it if you are watching the
9 thing build. But it won't be processed by anything else set in
10 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM, for example the "echo" system which reprints all
11 gathered elog stuff from all built packages when emerge finishes, and
12 which I find very useful. Absence of newlines there makes that however
13 often hardly readable.
14
15 Using elog commands instead of plain echo helps this, but as you
16 mentioned, could be done better. So I'm also for some *unified* way to
17 specify separators in elog commands. I would prefer something that
18 doesn't add extra lines to ebuild. So how bout some switch to elog
19 commands that adds extra newline after the message, might look better
20 than wltjr's "" proposal. There could be also switch to add newline
21 before the message but I can't think of a use for it myself.
22 The question is how to name the switch :) "-n" could be confusing as
23 "echo -n" has the opposite effect. Maybe "-b" for "blank"?
26 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
27 Gentoo/Java