From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default blank lines for error, elog, einfo, etc
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:31:23
1 On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 00:42 +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
2 > Joe Peterson wrote:
3 > > The problem with a simple echo is that no "*" appears on the left to
4 > > maintain continuity with the rest of the output - and in a color that
5 > > makes sense in the context (maybe this isn't a "problem" - it depends on
6 > > whether that visual continuity is desired).
7 >
8 > The far biggest problem of echo is IMHO that it's not part of the elog
9 > framework,
10
11 Well I mostly included echo as a joke/pun per one of the other
12 comments :)
13
14 > So how bout some switch to elog
15 > commands that adds extra newline after the message, might look better
16 > than wltjr's "" proposal.
17
18 Crude I agree, but at least point for shorthand was understood :)
19
20 > There could be also switch to add newline
21 > before the message but I can't think of a use for it myself.
22 > The question is how to name the switch :) "-n" could be confusing as
23 > "echo -n" has the opposite effect. Maybe "-b" for "blank"?
24
25 Or -p for preceding -t for trailing. Which would make one liner
26
27 elog -pt "One line with blank ones before and after"
30 William L. Thomson Jr.
31 amd64/Java/Trustees
32 Gentoo Foundation