From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A more natural (human-friendly) syntax for dependencies
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 19:54:36
1 Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
2
3 >On Sep 22, 2012 8:25 PM, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:11:48 +0300
6 >> Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > On Sep 22, 2012 7:38 PM, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 >> > >
10 >> > > emerge 'foo >= 1.1' 'bar < 1.0'?
11 >> > > emerge foo '>=' 1.1 bar '<' 1.0?
12 >> >
13 >> > How is the above easier to read than
14 >> >
15 >> > emerge >=foo-1.1 <bar-1.0
16 >>
17 >> Did you even test it? That would create '=foo-1.1' and then fail
18 >trying
19 >> to read 'bar-1.0'. It's rather:
20 >>
21 >> emerge '>=foo-1.1' '<bar-1.0'
22 >
23 >Yes, you are right, still much easier to read than your example tho.
24 >
25 >Testing things is limited to very important stuff atm, I only have an
26 >android phone and intermittent 3g available and ssh without a real kb
27 >is a
28 >pain :-)
29 >
30 >> > I think your example is working against you*.*
31 >> >
32 >> > The current syntax is much easier to read than the
33 >> > quote-and-whitespace-tracking horror of your example :-P
34 >>
35 >> It's no less quoting than in the current case. And it could be simply
36 >> extended to supporting quoting-less syntax, e.g.:
37 >>
38 >> emerge foo -gt 1.1 bar -lt 1.0
39 >
40 >I still find whitespace inappropriate for this kind of things. You are
41 >trying to replace a single atom that instantly gives you all required
42 >information with a format that does not clearly separate atoms, IMHO
43 >anyway
44
45 +1