From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A more natural (human-friendly) syntax for dependencies
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:13:03
1 On Sep 22, 2012 8:25 PM, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:11:48 +0300
4 > Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Sep 22, 2012 7:38 PM, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > emerge 'foo >= 1.1' 'bar < 1.0'?
9 > > > emerge foo '>=' 1.1 bar '<' 1.0?
10 > >
11 > > How is the above easier to read than
12 > >
13 > > emerge >=foo-1.1 <bar-1.0
14 >
15 > Did you even test it? That would create '=foo-1.1' and then fail trying
16 > to read 'bar-1.0'. It's rather:
17 >
18 > emerge '>=foo-1.1' '<bar-1.0'
19
20 Yes, you are right, still much easier to read than your example tho.
21
22 Testing things is limited to very important stuff atm, I only have an
23 android phone and intermittent 3g available and ssh without a real kb is a
24 pain :-)
25
26 > > I think your example is working against you*.*
27 > >
28 > > The current syntax is much easier to read than the
29 > > quote-and-whitespace-tracking horror of your example :-P
30 >
31 > It's no less quoting than in the current case. And it could be simply
32 > extended to supporting quoting-less syntax, e.g.:
33 >
34 > emerge foo -gt 1.1 bar -lt 1.0
35
36 I still find whitespace inappropriate for this kind of things. You are
37 trying to replace a single atom that instantly gives you all required
38 information with a format that does not clearly separate atoms, IMHO anyway
39 :-)
40
41 Alex | wired