From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tetromino@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Establishing Gentoo patch policy to keep our patches consistent and clean
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 18:59:23
1 On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 14:35:47 -0400
2 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 20:08 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > 2. Patches have to apply to the top directory of the source tree with
6 > > 'patch -p1'. If patches are applied to sub-directories, necessary '-p'
7 > > argument shall be passed to 'epatch' explicitly. Developers are
8 > > encouraged to create patches which are compatible with 'git am'.
9 >
10 > Please don't make -p1 into a hard requirement :/
11 >
12 > There are upstreams who have different directory layouts in their scm
13 > tree and in their source tarballs. If I clone an upstream git repository
14 > to obtain a patch or to write a new patch that I will submit upstream, I
15 > want to be able to apply that patch in an ebuild without having to
16 > manually sed it to change the -p level.
17
18 You will need to supply '-p2' in the *worst* case.
19
20 > Specific examples of this among packages that I maintain: app-cdr/cdemu,
21 > app-cdr/cdemu-daemon, sys-fs/vhba. These all use the same git tree, and
22 > source tarballs for individual packages are created from different
23 > subdirectories of that git tree.
24
25 In the context of the entry, 'top directory' would mean the common git
26 root. So the patches suitable for 'git am' on that repo will be correct.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny