From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Establishing Gentoo patch policy to keep our patches consistent and clean
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 18:35:59
1 On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 20:08 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > 2. Patches have to apply to the top directory of the source tree with
3 > 'patch -p1'. If patches are applied to sub-directories, necessary '-p'
4 > argument shall be passed to 'epatch' explicitly. Developers are
5 > encouraged to create patches which are compatible with 'git am'.
6
7 Please don't make -p1 into a hard requirement :/
8
9 There are upstreams who have different directory layouts in their scm
10 tree and in their source tarballs. If I clone an upstream git repository
11 to obtain a patch or to write a new patch that I will submit upstream, I
12 want to be able to apply that patch in an ebuild without having to
13 manually sed it to change the -p level.
14
15 Specific examples of this among packages that I maintain: app-cdr/cdemu,
16 app-cdr/cdemu-daemon, sys-fs/vhba. These all use the same git tree, and
17 source tarballs for individual packages are created from different
18 subdirectories of that git tree.