From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] utf-8 fixes for metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:17:29
1 On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:24:35 +0200 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 | > Hrm, we can't mess with encoding without breaking things for people
3 | > using silly terminals (like aterm, gnome-terminal and konsole) that
4 | > lie about their $TERM.
5 |
6 | My konsole reports "xterm"; what's wrong with that?
7
8 konsole is not an xterm. xterm is capable of handling all kinds of
9 termcap sequences that konsole is not. By lying about its term name,
10 konsole is making things very hard for people who write applications
11 which can make use of these sequences -- should the app assume that
12 xterm means "I am a real xterm" or "I am some lame terminal pretending
13 to be xterm"? The former screws over non-xterm users, the latter screws
14 over xterm users.
17 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
18 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
19 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm