From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Identifying inherit-only / usable profiles
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:30:33
1 On Friday 03 December 2004 23:13, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:26:17 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | # ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/base /etc/make.profile
6 > | # emerge -p system
7 > |
8 > | These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
9 > |
10 > | !!! ARCH is not set... Are you missing the /etc/make.profile symlink?
11 > | !!! Is the symlink correct? Is your portage tree complete?
12 >
13 > Indeed. So... Can anyone think of a better name than "inherit-only"? Can
14 > anyone think of a good way of indicating this other than by an empty
15 > file? Would it be reasonable for me to file a bug asking that at some
16 > point in the future portage detects the existence of said file and
17 > displays a better message instead?
18
19 Heh.. It'd take about 2 minutes to write and test the 3 lines of code to
20 implement said enhancement. The question is, is this the correct enhancement.
21 If so, why? I'd be more inclined to use a file to define a profile as being
22 "valid" rather than "invalid".
23
24 Perhaps a "description" file that describes the purpose of that profile.
25 Perhaps even a metadata.xml that contains the purpose of that specific
26 profile directory within its cascade as well as a flag indicating to portage
27 whether it's intented to be linked to.
28
29 Anyway, whatever happens - please, no bugs!! ;)
30
31 Regards,
32 Jason Stubbs
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list