From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Current portage will now truncate your repo's git history to 1
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 19:56:35
1 On 15/12/2022 20.22, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > As everyone knows, there is nothing better than to change the workflow
3 > that has served you well over multiple years. But apparently the
4 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY approach works well for others, so I am confident that I
5 > (and others) will be able to make the transition with a minimal amount
6 > of ranting. ;)
7
8 As it was pointed out that some consider my wording here inappropriate
9 and/or rude, I want to apologize to everyone who was offended by the
10 prior paragraph. I had
11
12 https://xkcd.com/1172/
13
14 in mind when writing it.
15
16 I was also criticized for not providing a rationale for the behavior
17 change in portage. The motivation is driven by the noble goal to make
18 portage more user friendly and robust. Which I fully support. Just like
19 I support shallow clones per default. I just believe portage should do a
20 better job figuring out if it potentially messes with a "user-owned"
21 repository and adjust its behavior accordingly. In a similar spirit I
22 submitted https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/960
23
24 - Flow