From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:16:51
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:47:32PM +1000, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 07/11/2017 11:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> On 07/11/2017 09:29 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>> Even if such stabilization is allowed, there are unanswered
7 > >>> questions here:
8 > >>> - is following seciton 4.1 from wg recommendations is sufficient?
9 > >>> - should developer test each stabilization candidate on an
10 > >>> up-to-date stable setup?
11 > >>
12 > >> The guidelines from that document are ripped straight out of the
13 > >> devmanual and are a good starting point but rather generic. You can find
14 > >> some more detailed suggestions on things to consider while testing on
15 > >> the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing
16 > >>
17 > >
18 > > I think that in practice arch teams don't do have the stuff on that
19 > > wiki page. Maybe some people do, but back when I was an amd64 AT I
20 > > don't think anybody went testing multiple USE combinations for a
21 > > typical package.
22 >
23 > Everything on that page is deliberately a suggestion only, and not
24 > necessarily specific to stabilisation testing.
25 >
26 > In the end, we've never been able to reach any consensus on what exactly
27 > an arch tester should do. Personally, I think we should just switch to
28 > fully-automated, build-only testing for stabilistions unless the
29 > maintainer opts otherwise (something that largely happens in practice
30 > already). The main risk of breakage of a package moving from testing to
31 > stable is always at build time anyway.
32
33 I would not be opposed to this. As a maintainer, I am as guilty as the
34 next guy of not filing stable requests or not stabilizing packages.