From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:47:44
1 On 07/11/2017 11:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 07/11/2017 09:29 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Even if such stabilization is allowed, there are unanswered
6 >>> questions here:
7 >>> - is following seciton 4.1 from wg recommendations is sufficient?
8 >>> - should developer test each stabilization candidate on an
9 >>> up-to-date stable setup?
10 >>
11 >> The guidelines from that document are ripped straight out of the
12 >> devmanual and are a good starting point but rather generic. You can find
13 >> some more detailed suggestions on things to consider while testing on
14 >> the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing
17 > I think that in practice arch teams don't do have the stuff on that
18 > wiki page. Maybe some people do, but back when I was an amd64 AT I
19 > don't think anybody went testing multiple USE combinations for a
20 > typical package.
21
22 Everything on that page is deliberately a suggestion only, and not
23 necessarily specific to stabilisation testing.
24
25 In the end, we've never been able to reach any consensus on what exactly
26 an arch tester should do. Personally, I think we should just switch to
27 fully-automated, build-only testing for stabilistions unless the
28 maintainer opts otherwise (something that largely happens in practice
29 already). The main risk of breakage of a package moving from testing to
30 stable is always at build time anyway.