From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:06:43
1 On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/11/2017 09:29 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Even if such stabilization is allowed, there are unanswered
5 >> questions here:
6 >> - is following seciton 4.1 from wg recommendations is sufficient?
7 >> - should developer test each stabilization candidate on an
8 >> up-to-date stable setup?
9 >
10 > The guidelines from that document are ripped straight out of the
11 > devmanual and are a good starting point but rather generic. You can find
12 > some more detailed suggestions on things to consider while testing on
13 > the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing
16 I think that in practice arch teams don't do have the stuff on that
17 wiki page. Maybe some people do, but back when I was an amd64 AT I
18 don't think anybody went testing multiple USE combinations for a
19 typical package.
20
21 However, to directly answer one of Andrew's questions, yes, you
22 definitely should test on a stable system/chroot/container. I've seen
23 a few package updates over the years that wouldn't even build and it
24 was probably because whoever keyworded it never even tried building it
25 with stable dependencies. That is pretty rare though.
28 Rich