From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:59:27
1 On 07/11/2017 09:29 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:17:34 +0200 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >> On 07/10/2017 10:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:49:40 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> In the case of amd64 we already
9 >>>>> encourage individual package maintainers to stabilize their own
10 >>>>> packages
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Huh? Have our rules changed? As per devmanual[1] and GLEP 40[2]
13 >>>> stabilization must be carried out by arch teams, unless a special
14 >>>> arrangement is done between a developer and a team.
15 >>>>
16 >>>
17 >>> The docs are probably out of date - I'm not sure if the policy is
18 >>> documented anywhere. However it has been a fairly longstanding policy
19 >>> at this point that amd64 allows individual maintainers to stabilize
20 >>> their own packages.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> We looked after it for wg-stable (which died out as a result of rather
24 >> low participation, maybe it should be rebooted if people feel like
25 >> discussing this again), there isn't any authoritative policy allowing
26 >> it, GLEP:40 explicitly removes the possibility to do it for x86. That
27 >> said, for a number of packages maintainer stabilization can likely make
28 >> sense, the opposite view is four-eyes principle, it is always good to
29 >> have someone else build-test etc, but this is greatly helped by
30 >> tinderboxing efforts (thanks toralf) etc. So one likely output if
31 >> wg-stable is to come up with something would be a replacement GLEP for
32 >> 40 that matches the current state, and also kernel auto-stabiliation (as
33 >> discussed in [section 3.2 (Kernel)]
34 >
35 > So, am I understanding this correctly that right now a package
36 > stabilization by maintainer without explicit permit from an arch
37 > team will be the violation of active and approved policies?
38
39 As Rich pointed out, amd64 team has long allowed maintainers to perform
40 their own stabilisations. I've asked x86 team about this in the past,
41 and they too were OK with maintainer stabilisations.
42
43 It would be nice to improve documentation of this, but it is certainly
44 not a policy violation just because some ancient document was never updated.
45
46 > Despite the maintainer-driven stabilization seems to be "a fairly
47 > longstanding policy" I'm reluctant to do such stabilization myself,
48 > because anyone may point out later that such action is a violation
49 > of the written policies and I will have nothing to defend me.
50 >
51 > Even if such stabilization is allowed, there are unanswered
52 > questions here:
53 > - is following seciton 4.1 from wg recommendations is sufficient?
54 > - should developer test each stabilization candidate on an
55 > up-to-date stable setup?
56
57 The guidelines from that document are ripped straight out of the
58 devmanual and are a good starting point but rather generic. You can find
59 some more detailed suggestions on things to consider while testing on
60 the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing