From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage-2.0.51 Stability Testing
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:17:44
1 Nicholas Jones posted <20040912023012.GA14248@××××××.net>, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:30:12 -0400:
3
4 > So...... We need testers. And a lot of them. I've sent out
5 > emails in the past highly recommending that devs use 2.0.51
6 > for continued development and repoman fixes, but now I need
7 > general use testing.
8
9 As a user, I recently /etc/portage/package.unmasked and upgraded to the
10 2.51 series here, after I saw you urging it on all the developers. Pretty
11 smooth, here! =:^)
12
13 The biggest problem I've seen is documentation -- the man pages are now a
14 bit dated. I know updating them for a devel version isn't all that
15 worthwhile as features may be dynamically changing during development.
16 However, as 2.51 appears to be stabilizing now, perhaps updating the man
17 pages is in order?
18
19 In particular, I noted the emerge instructions mentioning
20 /etc/portage/virtuals (now /etc/portage/profiles/virtuals, perfect example
21 of why documenting a development version is attempting to hit a moving
22 target <g>) and then went to look up any other changes I might have missed
23 under man portage, but found it hadn't been updated yet. As I said, not
24 unreasonable for a development series, so I didn't worry about it.
25 However, if it's now stable enough you are looking for user-testers, IMO
26 it's time to update the man pages as well.
27
28 I hadn't thought about /usr/share/doc/portage* for a changelog and etc,
29 and had already been frustrated (several times) by lack of a useful
30 changelog for portage in the usual portage tree location, so that's useful
31 info here! I'm now off to read it!
35 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
36 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
37 Benjamin Franklin
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list