From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage-2.0.51 Stability Testing
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:30:38
1 With 2.0.51_pre23 out, we have a mostly bugfree portage that
2 does a heck of a lot. Now... I am certain that someone will
3 find something wrong with it eventually, but I'd like for
4 the persons that find it be expecting something slightly odd.
5
6 So...... We need testers. And a lot of them. I've sent out
7 emails in the past highly recommending that devs use 2.0.51
8 for continued development and repoman fixes, but now I need
9 general use testing.
10
11 ** Note: Teaser used to promote interest **
12 emerge -uD world --newuse -pv
13 ** End teaser **
14
15 51_pre23 is most of what is expected out of the 51 series.
16 It's passed catalyst stage building several times, and now
17 needs to brave the scary waters that would be your fingers.
18
19 I watch the total number of downloads of unstable portages
20 and based upon bug reports in a given timeframe, I can tell
21 when a portage is ready for ~arch and stable. As this is a
22 fairly sizable change, I'd like that ratio pretty high.
23
24 ** Note: Teaser used to promote interest **
25 To combat the increadible speedups in portage, we've added
26 some new features. FEATURES="gpg [strict] [severe]" These
27 new features slow portage back down to apparent execution
28 speeds that keep you more at ease. :)
29 ** End teaser **
32 Ways to help:
33 emerge sync
34 echo "sys-apps/portage" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
35 echo "sys-apps/portage" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
36 emerge portage
37
38 Best thing to do is to read the changelog in /usr/share/doc/portage*/
39 (Yes, I am very aware that it is boing and code intensive reading)
40 which has all the nitty-gritty on what's been going on in the code.
41 See what you can break. Avoid going insane here, and try not to go
42 too far out into the 1337 Ha4x0r style of breakage common to some
43 types.
44
45 Even if you don't wanna seek out those new features that no one
46 has mentioned publicly yet, You can still test it and give us info.
47
48 Just report back whatever breaks or seems wrong. bugs.gentoo.org
49 If you've got a PORTAGE CODE problem, you could discuss it with
50 us in #gentoo-portage on irc, if you're uncertain about it, but
51 PLEASE check bugs.gentoo.org before several hundred people spam
52 us with the same reports.
53
54 Final note... As always, when using a developmental portage,
55 check for updates when you have a problem, just in case we've
56 fixed it and rushed out a new release.
57
58 --NJ