From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Begin a dev-libs/nodejs category?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 18:48:39
1 On 03/20/2018 07:50 AM, Herb Miller Jr. wrote:
2 > When I did my homework on creating nodejs ebuilds (not nodejs itself but
3 > packages written in node), it seems the topic has come up a few times in
4 > the past but the time commitment and general disorganization of upstream
5 > has scared off any serious attempts at packaging.
6
7 There's a real technical problem hidden in there. Since npm
8 (recursively!) bundles every dependency, nobody worries about
9 compatibility in their JS packages. You'll quickly find yourself stuck.
10
11 For example, if you want to package an end-user application "foo", it
12 might depend on libraries "bar-1.0" and "baz-2.0". But then "bar-1.0"
13 itself depends on "baz-1.0". What do you do? Slot everything? How do you
14 make NodeJS look in the right place? You're going to need a plan,
15 because this situation is not at all uncommon.