From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/spool/mail versus maildir: use item needed
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:17:43
1 On Thursday, 18. April 2002 23:58, you wrote:
2 > >>use items:
3 > >>mbox and maildir
4 > >
5 > > what about the idea of just having one? (as they rarely will be
6 > > used at the same time anyway)
7 > >
8 > > hhm, i guess you can compile pine with support for both.. (?)
9 >
10 > What do you mean just having one? It makes sense to me for a user to
11 > put mbox or maildir in their USE items. Several programs, like pine,
12 > procmail, ect can handle both formats. And with patches more programs
13 > can handle both. So I think we need both use lines and have a user
14 > choose one, otherwise the default for that package will be chosen.
17 yes, you are right.
18
19 > I thought about the MAIL variable, and it would make sense, unless
20 > you were wanting to compile for another machine, hence a specifically
21 > defined MBOX_PATH or MAILDIR_PATH makes more sense, IMO.
22
23 i don't know the package that uses this, as i can not think of why this
24 would be a compile time variable...
25
26 IMHO this should only be a runtime variable, because of the fact, that
27 (at least in some cases) it is up to the user to decide
28
29 so what package needs this?
32 > -Jared H.
36 regards