From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/spool/mail versus maildir: use item needed
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:56:35
1 >>use items:
2 >>mbox and maildir
5 > what about the idea of just having one? (as they rarely will be used at
6 > the same time anyway)
7 >
8 > hhm, i guess you can compile pine with support for both.. (?)
9
10 What do you mean just having one? It makes sense to me for a user to put
11 mbox or maildir in their USE items. Several programs, like pine,
12 procmail, ect can handle both formats. And with patches more programs
13 can handle both. So I think we need both use lines and have a user
14 choose one, otherwise the default for that package will be chosen.
15
16 I thought about the MAIL variable, and it would make sense, unless you
17 were wanting to compile for another machine, hence a specifically
18 defined MBOX_PATH or MAILDIR_PATH makes more sense, IMO.
19
20 -Jared H.