From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] new eselect module: compiler
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:39:57
1 2016-08-09 13:58 GMT+08:00 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>:
2 > As a question to Lei, I'm wondering why you chose eselect compiler, and
3 > not gcc-config to manage the links. In a way, gcc-config is tailored
4 > towards gcc, but it does a lot of things also for the environment. With
5 > clang, from my experience, you just want it as drop-in replacement for
6 > gcc as it doesn't give you too much issues (on Darwin at least).
7
8 In its current form, gcc-config specializes in handling different
9 versions of gcc. If we extend it to cover other compilers (and rename
10 it to cc-config as James suggested), should it handle different
11 versions of clang? What about different versions of icc?
12
13 I'm just afraid gcc-config would become too complex that way, so I
14 prefer a simpler approach: let eselect-compiler be version-agnostic.
15 Then we can have clang-config to handle the versioning of clang,
16 icc-config to handle icc, etc.
19 Lei