From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 21:56:01
1 On 15 Dec 2015 22:35, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Whatever the format will be, the more important question is where this
3 > would be implemented:
4 >
5 > - In the package manager, with user and group definition in profiles.
6 > This seems to be what GLEP 27 suggests, and as far as I can see, it
7 > would require an EAPI bump. Certainly doable, but last time we
8 > bumped profiles to a new EAPI we had a rather long transition
9 > period.
10 >
11 > - In user.eclass, which could be extended to use the EUSERS and
12 > EGROUPS variables defined in ebuilds. The problem is, where would
13 > one store the user and group definitions then? Profiles cannot be
14 > accessed from an eclass.
15
16 long term, i think profiles are better to hold the db as it provides for
17 clean stacking and is trivial for site-specific extension/control, as well
18 as image builders via something like catalyst.
19
20 short/mid term, i was thinking of writing a new package that holds the db
21 and tools to query/manage it. user.eclass would DEPEND on it and ask it
22 for details, perhaps even doing the actual fs updates (the bash code here
23 is not pretty wrt locks and python would be much nicer). that tool could
24 even search additional site paths (like /usr/local) to locate overrides.
25
26 the API to ebuilds/eclasses would be unchanged. in CrOS, we only look at
27 the first argument (the user/group name) and load all other details from
28 the db. we could seamlessly migrate over existing ebuilds by opting in to
29 this simpler form.
30
31 maybe the short/mid term solution is enough to not get into profile mess
32 even if i think it's the correct data storage location.
33 -mike