From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 21:36:11
1 >>>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > On 15 Dec 2015 15:56, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> ESR's case study about the password file format seems to disagree:
5 >> http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch05s01.html#id2901332
6
7 > because you cited it, i read it anyways. that document is about how text
8 > formats should be preferred over binary formats because they do not require
9 > custom tools to modify/update, and because it's easier for binary formats
10 > to screw themselves over from a portability/extensible pov. it does not
11 > champion the passwd format all by itself, and even says that it's a bit
12 > rigid, and you should consider tagged formats if you want something more.
13 > which we do.
14
15 > see also the example i posted to Alec as why the format is hostile to devs
16 > whereas my simple RST proposal has none of these issues.
17
18 Whatever the format will be, the more important question is where this
19 would be implemented:
20
21 - In the package manager, with user and group definition in profiles.
22 This seems to be what GLEP 27 suggests, and as far as I can see, it
23 would require an EAPI bump. Certainly doable, but last time we
24 bumped profiles to a new EAPI we had a rather long transition
25 period.
26
27 - In user.eclass, which could be extended to use the EUSERS and
28 EGROUPS variables defined in ebuilds. The problem is, where would
29 one store the user and group definitions then? Profiles cannot be
30 accessed from an eclass.
31
32 Ulrich