From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:39:35
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:09:23 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
5 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > This claim was made by upstream, no less. And it refers to
8 > > *running* udev without systemd as opposed to building (which
9 > > upstream already made impossible).
10 > >
11 > > Here is the exact wording:
12 > > "Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
13 > > kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we
14 > > will not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at
15 > > that point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call."
16 > > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
17 > >
18 > > Not sure what about this is FUD.
21 > The fact that it came from Lennart doesn't make it any less FUD.
22
23 IMHO this makes a good argument for the wait&see (aka keep sys-fs/udev
24 default) position:
25 - May 2014: Lennart writes the world will fall apart and udev will
26 somewhat require systemd with kdbus.
27 - May/June 2015: kdbus is first sent for review/merge for the linux 4.1
28 merge window (I think).
29 - Feb. 2016: kdbus has been included then removed from fedora kernels,
30 it is being reworked and is not even proposed for the linux 4.5 merge
31 window.
32
33 I'd say we still have some time to see how things will evolve :)
34
35 Alexis.