From: Nathan Zachary <kalos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GWN - how to restart ?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:26:17
1 Man Shankar wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Firstly apologies if this is the wrong -list for such a post. I would
5 > like to see the GWN restart (i m sure i m not the only one) ! Infact i
6 > can contribute my weekends to it. That should be enough time.
7 >
8 > As regards, the need for a newsletter, i guess its more to do with
9 > information dissemination. Clearly a monthly schedule is difficult for
10 > a fast moving distro like Gentoo. Also another major benefit is for the
11 > prospective users who see something coming from within the community and
12 > beleive it to be alive and well. I mean, the Gentoo community knows that
13 > Gentoo is doing very well (cheers to the devs and the community- you
14 > rock) but unfortunately that is not the view outside. This kind of puts
15 > off the user-to-be (i know because my *nix-aware friends are difficult to
16 > convince and a lot of garbage has been written about Gentoo in the past).
17 > Also there are those who just prefer the newsletter in their inbox as
18 > opposed to going through forums and websites. Ofcourse, there are other
19 > reasons as well.
20 >
21 > Now, as regards the content - i have the following on mind:
22 >
23 > 1) The regular stuff -- stats, new packages, removals, dev joinings,
24 > hottest thread, most discussed topic on ml etc.
25 > 2) One article -- ranging from the hip and happening in the Gentoo-world
26 > to howtos;
27 > 3) Community member of the week (devs or users) -- About a community
28 > member, the format will be specific (i m working on it)
29 > 4) There has to be some tech-humor ;-) LOL!!
30 >
31 > 5) Other suggestions and criticisms are welcome!
32 >
33 > So, how do i go about it? Whom to contact, the hurdles i should be
34 > prepared for etc.?
37 I would be happy to help out with the newsletter, especially with the
38 "one article." I don't know if a weekly newsletter is appropriate
39 though. Maybe bi-weekly or monthly like it is now.
40
41 --Zach