From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 03:06:40
1 On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:11:47 -0500
2 Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > Has QA given their blessing to this?
5 >
6 > Absolutely not. Its actually the opposite. Until 90+% of the tree just
7 > works with the new version of python, it should not be stabilized. The
8 > stable tree should all Just Work together. Stabilizing python-3 at this
9 > point would be the equivalent of me stabilizing gcc-4.5 after its been
10 > in the tree for a few months and nothing else works with it. Sure, gcc
11 > works just fine, but it can't compile half of the tree.
12
13 I don't think it's the same. This is like saying we can't stabilize qt-4
14 because half the tree is (was) qt-3. These packages are likely never going
15 to work with the newer version, that's why it's slotted and now we have an
16 admittedly impressive framework for making sure python-2 programs get
17 python-2 and python-3 get python-3.
18
19 Another example from my camp is wxGTK. Half the stuff in the tree (even now)
20 doesn't work with 2.8, so we introduced a system where packages would get the
21 version they needed, while users could use whatever version they wanted
22 independent of portage. 2.8 has been stable for over 3 years now.
23
24 I've been messing with the new python stuff this past week and I'm sold. If
25 you recall I was one of the people completely against the idea last time this
26 topic came up.
27
28 > I hope everyone can see that this is a terrible idea and of no use to
29 > our stable users. If a stable user really needs Python-3, they will
30 > have the technical ability to unmask it and use it properly.
31
32 A stable user who doesn't want python 3 installed shouldn't have it forced on
33 them. If something is pulling in python-3 then that package needs to have
34 its dependencies fixed. IIRC Portage isn't greedy wrt. SLOTs like it was
35 before (unless you use @installed) so it shouldn't be pulled in by anything
36 that doesn't require it.
37
38 Are we really saying that no python-3-based package can go into stable until
39 90% of the tree is python-3? That's like, 5 years from now, if ever.
43 fonts, by design, by neglect
44 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
45 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662