From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 05:02:11
1 On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 09:08:14PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:11:47 -0500
3 > Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > > Has QA given their blessing to this?
6 > >
7 > > Absolutely not. Its actually the opposite. Until 90+% of the tree just
8 > > works with the new version of python, it should not be stabilized. The
9 > > stable tree should all Just Work together. Stabilizing python-3 at this
10 > > point would be the equivalent of me stabilizing gcc-4.5 after its been
11 > > in the tree for a few months and nothing else works with it. Sure, gcc
12 > > works just fine, but it can't compile half of the tree.
13 >
14 > I don't think it's the same. This is like saying we can't stabilize qt-4
15 > because half the tree is (was) qt-3. These packages are likely never going
16 > to work with the newer version, that's why it's slotted and now we have an
17 > admittedly impressive framework for making sure python-2 programs get
18 > python-2 and python-3 get python-3.
19 >
20 > Another example from my camp is wxGTK. Half the stuff in the tree (even now)
21 > doesn't work with 2.8, so we introduced a system where packages would get the
22 > version they needed, while users could use whatever version they wanted
23 > independent of portage. 2.8 has been stable for over 3 years now.
24 >
25 > I've been messing with the new python stuff this past week and I'm sold. If
26 > you recall I was one of the people completely against the idea last time this
27 > topic came up.
28 >
29 > > I hope everyone can see that this is a terrible idea and of no use to
30 > > our stable users. If a stable user really needs Python-3, they will
31 > > have the technical ability to unmask it and use it properly.
32 >
33 > A stable user who doesn't want python 3 installed shouldn't have it forced on
34 > them. If something is pulling in python-3 then that package needs to have
35 > its dependencies fixed. IIRC Portage isn't greedy wrt. SLOTs like it was
36 > before (unless you use @installed) so it shouldn't be pulled in by anything
37 > that doesn't require it.
38 >
39 > Are we really saying that no python-3-based package can go into stable until
40 > 90% of the tree is python-3? That's like, 5 years from now, if ever.
43 > --
44 > fonts, by design, by neglect
45 > gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
46 > wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
49 I think that is being said is, due to python 3 being unnecessary for majority of users, due to a small number of applications actually using it, it should be in ~arch. Of course an application that depends on python 3, but is entirely stable should not be marked testing (to my reckoning at least). I think the best way to go about it is to set python-3 in ~arch. As it has been said, should a user need python 3 they most likely know what they're doing and keywording it shouldn't be a problem.
50 So my vote goes towards stabilizing the applications that depend on python three, in their due time, and keeping python-3 keyworded.
53 Zeerak Waseem