From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: carpaski@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Compression and Key Issues with the new CVS [Was: Re: CVS SERVER UNLOCKED ]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:30:11
1 Two quick followup notes to this.
2
3 Carpaski:
4 Could you please update Portage to _obey_ .cvsrc files and use them as
5 defaults, and failing that, use -z0 for it's settings.
6 (see below for more on this)
7
8 On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:59:56PM -0700, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
9 > I strongly advise you to turn off compression in both your SSH session
10 > and your CVS settings. This is simply due to the fact that while we have
11 > a lot of bandwidth available to us, we don't have much CPU power. The
12 > new cvs server IS slower than the old box. You will almost certainly get
13 > faster updates with compression turned off than on.
14 To ensure that compression is off
15 1. You have to do is check that your ~/.ssh/ssh_config if it exists
16 doesn't specify compression for cvs.gentoo.org. 'Compression No' should
17 be specified if anything (if unspecified, it should default to off).
18 2. If you have a .cvsrc file, it should contain 'cvs -z0' and not any
19 higher numbers.
20
21 One comment here. I am making an exception for all dial-up users.
22 They should keep SSH compression off, and they may set their .cvsrc to
23 'cvs -z1'.
24
25 As some statistics, I keep the entiritly of the gentoo, gentoo-src and
26 gentoo-x86 modules checked out.
27
28 All of these tests are done with running one update and then running
29 another one right away again.
30 -z0 : Data transferred: ~210kb. Time: ~23 seconds.
31 -z1 : Data transferred: ~40kb. Time: ~52 seconds.
32 -z2 : Data transferred: ~37kb. Time: ~60 seconds.
33 -z3 is the Portage default if you use SYNC="cvs://...."
34 -z3 : Data transferred: ~36kb. Time: ~70 seconds.
35
36 > To get your key onto the system, simply upload like you would normally
37 > for dev.gentoo.org, and the system will take a copy of it from there
38 > sometime at most 12 hours after you upload it.
39 Sven has put together a guide on setting up SSH keys.
40 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/sshkeys.html
41
42 I've moved up the key copying script to run hourly for the next few
43 days. If you key is in place by 1 minute past each hour, you can expect
44 that it will work by 25 past that hour.
45
46 If you get a message "Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactiv)"
47 that means your keys are _not_ setup or haven't synced over yet.
50 Robin Hugh Johnson
51 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
52 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
53 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
54 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85