From: "Stephen P. Becker" <spbecker@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 13:42:07
1 > What experience? So far there have been no news items. The issue
2 > about elog messages being one shot things is rather outdated (at least
3 > for portage), and post-merge information is the domain of elog (as
4 > stated in the GLEP).
5
6 As Ciaran explained below, the paludis overlay has been using them for
7 a long time, but allow me to elaborate as one who has found these news
8 items very useful, and who has been very unsatisfied with elog in
9 general. I love getting information on news items that I can
10 read at my own leisure via eselect news. For example, a recent news
11 item in the paludis overlay informed users on how to properly set
12 everything up for userpriv with paludis-0.22, a description that was far
13 too detailed for elog, and which I didn't have time to read the very
14 minute that I installed the new version. What do you know...the next
15 day I was ready to set things up...and oh look, there was nice,
16 detailed instructions waiting for me to read with eselect news.
17
18 It's easy for you and others in this thread to speculate
19 without *any* experience here. I really get the feeling that you guys
20 are talking out of your ass because this is another ciaran/paludis
21 thread. As has already been pointed out, only paludis users would see
22 the news item that you are all bitching about, so if you guys don't use
23 paludis, why do you care? If you happen to maintain packages and you
24 feel like providing news will piss your users off, then don't provide
25 it. Experience has shown that paludis users like these news items,
26 which is another point that you and others are ignoring.
27
28 -Steve