From: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] db4
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:26:08
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 05:31:57PM -0400, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 >
4 >> After the 1.4 release, I think it would be a good idea to make
5 >> another pass at making db4 the default in gentoo. We're starting
6 >> to get packages such as the latest openldap that require db4.
9 > Yep, we definitely need to get db4 ready. I remember that there has
10 > been repeated requests to add symbol versioning to db in order to
11 > eliminate problems in allowing multiple db versions to co-exist. From
12 > an 23 April
13 [[ remaining portions trimmed ]]
14
15 For everyone's reference, the following is a short thread entitled
16 "db1/glibc debacle" that describes, in part, a couple of the
17 "historical" reasons for our current problems with db4 mirgration:
18
19 http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200208/msg00538.html
20
21 It may not help us solve the migration problems with db4, but it should
22 be an enlightening message for people that are not really familiar with
23 (or sympathetic to) the problems surrounding upgrades of this nature.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 Zach Welch