From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [last rites] virtual/x11
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:13:43
1 Ryan Hill napsal(a):
2 > Ryan Hill wrote:
3 >> Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.- wrote:
4 >
5 >>> I commented this out of package.mask. x11-libs/fox-1.2.6-r2 still uses it.
6 >>> Need to fix that up before masking it.
7 >
8 >> I'll have a look.
9 >
10 > Okay, x11-libs/fox-1.2.6-r3 was added to the tree which fixed the
11 > virtual/x11 and GCC 4.1 compile issues. It was marked stable on all
12 > archs except alpha. Someone doing some cleanup accidentally removed it
13 > from the tree instead of the broken -r2.
14 >
15 > We could restore -r3, but considering nothing in the tree depends on
16 > 1.2.6 and the number of months gone by without anyone even noticing -r2
17 > doesn't build, I think it might be better to just remove it along with
18 > virtual/x11. fox fell into treecleaner territory until recently but it
19 > looks like mabi has taken over as maintainer, so it's up to him. ;)
20
21 Indeed... Don't re-unmask junk that breaks tons of things just because
22 an unused library version happens to depend on such junk. The whole
23 virtual/x11 dumpspace for missing deps was a horrible idea since the
24 very beginning and needs to die, now. It's already pretty overdue. It's
25 caused hundreds and hundreds of pointless bugs about 'missing'
26 dependencies and it's still breaking users. I could care less about
27 fox-1.2.6-r2, having this darned virtual unmasked breaks lots more
28 things than fox. There's no need for official QA proclamations about this.
32 Best regards,
33
34 Jakub Moc
35 mailto:jakub@g.o
36 GPG signature:
37 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
38 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
39
40 ... still no signature ;)