From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:21:30
1 On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 10:06 +0100, Wernfried Haas wrote:
2 > 4) Forums. We have the News and Announcements box on the forums and we
3 > will set sticky threads upon request. In fact we even stick threads
4 > and posts announcements if we encounter something worth mentioning
5 > in our opinion. Since we may not notice everything feel free to
6 > contact us in case you have some information worth sharing.
7 >
8 > Wrt to Chris' email i think the GWN is a good source of
9 > information and currently seems to feature most important things. If
10 > some people think that's not enough and someone steps up to do a RSS
11 > feed, news on the Gentoo website or whatever, it would of course be a
12 > good move, too. Setting up a centralized contact that forwards that
13 > information to website, mailing lists, forums, GWN, etc could be useful.
14
15 Well, I don't know if this is really within scope, but we do have a PR
16 team. I know that at one point they were pretty understaffed, so I
17 don't know whether this would be something they would want to undertake
18 or not, but if they did, then we already have everything in place.
19
20 > The most important thing in my opinion would however be to release
21 > important information more actively. If a problematic update is ahead,
22 > information about it should go through all channels before users
23 > experience problems. Since the maintainer knows best, he should be the
24 > one contacting the others to release the information. Again, a
25 > centralized contact would be helpful here since the maintainer does
26 > not need to contact everyone and their mother then.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
31 x86 Architecture Team
32 Games - Developer