From: "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:55:26
1 On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:41:45 -0400, Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 ..
3 >
4 > The idea seemed simple enough to me so I wrote a real quick wrapper
5 > script to see how hard it would be do it. few mins of hacking later..
6 >
7 > Your right it's not so hard at all. Atleast from a wrapper script.
8 > Here is what the end result gives us.
9 >
10 > --- USER EBUILD_PHASE
11 > >>> solar phase(clean)
12 > >>> solar phase(setup)
13 > >>> solar phase(unpack)
14 > >>> solar phase(compile)
15 > >>> solar phase(test)
16 > >>> solar phase(install)
17 > >>> solar phase(package)
18 > --- call remaining phases with root privs
19 > >>> root phase(setup)
20 > >>> root phase(preinst)
21 > >>> root phase(prerm)
22 > >>> root phase(postrm)
23 > >>> root phase(postinst)
24 >
25 > I would not really consider this any more secure by any means. An
26 > attacker can still take control of your system via other methods.
27 > But as far as keeping ebuilds from major screwups like rm -rf ${TYPO}/*
28 > this should do the trick.
29 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/portage_misc/emerge-wrapper
30 > I've only tested with some fairly small packages. No idea how a kernel
31 > module or whatever would be handled.
32 >
33 > If you build an the idea please share your changes with me. I'm all for
34 > handling as many phases as we can as non root. Assuming it does not lead
35 > to us having to install some new suid bin todo it.
38 Very cool. I especially like the comment after checking for uid == 0. :)
39
40 I'll test this out with a few packages.
43 Chris
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list