From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:42:55
1 On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 14:39, Chris L. Mason wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:50:13 +0200, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Guys, it's not the idea of UNIX to install a software-package without
5 > > root-access. Why do you want to install something without beeing root?
6 >
7 > I'm not sure about some of the other posts, but that wasn't my
8 > intention. I believe the standard (and secure) UNIX way has always
9 > been to compile stuff yourself (i.e. in your home directory) and then
10 > su to root for the "make install". Basically I was just looking for a
11 > way to do that with emerge (i.e. calling "sudo" for the actual copy of
12 > files into /). That's what OpenBSD does, and they tend to set the
13 > example in secure practises.
17 > This should be easily doable without any kernel modules or other such magic.
18
19 The idea seemed simple enough to me so I wrote a real quick wrapper
20 script to see how hard it would be do it. few mins of hacking later..
21
22 Your right it's not so hard at all. Atleast from a wrapper script.
23 Here is what the end result gives us.
24
25 --- USER EBUILD_PHASE
26 >>> solar phase(clean)
27 >>> solar phase(setup)
28 >>> solar phase(unpack)
29 >>> solar phase(compile)
30 >>> solar phase(test)
31 >>> solar phase(install)
32 >>> solar phase(package)
33 --- call remaining phases with root privs
34 >>> root phase(setup)
35 >>> root phase(preinst)
36 >>> root phase(prerm)
37 >>> root phase(postrm)
38 >>> root phase(postinst)
39
40 I would not really consider this any more secure by any means. An
41 attacker can still take control of your system via other methods.
42 But as far as keeping ebuilds from major screwups like rm -rf ${TYPO}/*
43 this should do the trick.
44 http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/portage_misc/emerge-wrapper
45 I've only tested with some fairly small packages. No idea how a kernel
46 module or whatever would be handled.
47
48 If you build an the idea please share your changes with me. I'm all for
49 handling as many phases as we can as non root. Assuming it does not lead
50 to us having to install some new suid bin todo it.
54 > Chris
55 >
56 > --
57 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
58 --
59 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
60 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer