From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 15:39:07
1 Anthony G. Basile posted on Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:46:53 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo systems.
4 > Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
5 > approach.
6 >
7 > Unless there's some magic I don't know about (and this is why I'm
8 > sending this email) each machine still needs to have the portage tree
9 > installed locally (1.5 GB) or somehow mounted by a network filesystem
10 > (which is not practical if the machines are not on a local network).
11 > Furthermore, each machine would have to run emerge locally to do the
12 > calculation of what packages need updating.
13 >
14 > This procedure is redundant because each machine is housing the same
15 > data and doing the same dependence-tree calculation.
16
17 I had a gen-1.5 32-bit netbook for a number of years, that I updated
18 using rsync from a 32-bit chroot on my main machine, no portage tree on
19 the target netbook, tho I didn't worry about separating out build deps
20 from run deps.
21
22 That was a single machine config, but it should be even easier if you're
23 running nearly identical machines and thus don't need the separate chroot
24 build image.
25
26 If you have temporary networking you can rsync directly machine to
27 machine, as I did after I was fully setup, but at first I was sneaker-
28 netting it, rsyncing to a thumb drive from the build machine, that I
29 would then plug into the target and rsync thumb drive to target.
30
31 The thumb drive was bootable, and I used it to do the first gentoo boots
32 on the target as well, testing my config and updating as necessary as I
33 went. When I got everything I initially wanted booting from the thumb
34 drive, I booted the thumb drive, wiped the initial Pingus Linux on the
35 netbook and setup the partitioning, etc, then rsynced selected bits into
36 the appropriate place on the target.
37
38 For multiple nearly identical machines you can exclude the non-identical
39 bits from the primary rsync image, keeping the specific bits in
40 individual images synced on top of the primary. Of course you can sync
41 in reverse as well to keep the non-identical bits updated, giving you a
42 nice backup of each one as well. =:^)
43
44 Alternatives would include simply creating the thumb drive once and then
45 cloning it enough times to give every machine a bootable thumb drive copy
46 (using symlinking and/or mounts to handle the non-identical stuff, so
47 simply toggling a symlink lets you switch machine layouts), or if the
48 machines have enough memory, setting up a single thumb drive to boot and
49 put everything in a tmpfs for the machine to run from, so you can use the
50 same thumb drive to boot them all, effectively the sneakernet version of
51 net-boot.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman