From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:47:06
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo systems.
4 Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
5 approach.
6
7 Unless there's some magic I don't know about (and this is why I'm
8 sending this email) each machine still needs to have the portage tree
9 installed locally (1.5 GB) or somehow mounted by a network filesystem
10 (which is not practical if the machines are not on a local network).
11 Furthermore, each machine would have to run emerge locally to do the
12 calculation of what packages need updating.
13
14 This procedure is redundant because each machine is housing the same
15 data and doing the same dependence-tree calculation. It should be
16 possible to do this calculation on a centralized binhost and simply
17 communicate the update information to the remote machines. They would
18 then only have to download the .tbz2's and install them, keeping a tidy
19 /var/db/pkg. Thus they avoid having to house the portage tree and
20 burning cpu cycles that just calculate redundant information.
21
22 I'm inspired here by OpenBSD's pkg_add which doesn't require all of
23 ports to be installed, and mender which is a
24
25 Any ideas?
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
30 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
32 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA