From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:34:53
1 Hi Anthony,
2
3 On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:46:53 -0500 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4
5 >Hi everyone,
6 >
7 >I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo
8 >systems.
9 > Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
10 >approach.
11 >
12 >Unless there's some magic I don't know about (and this is why I'm
13 >sending this email) each machine still needs to have the portage tree
14 >installed locally (1.5 GB) or somehow mounted by a network filesystem
15 >(which is not practical if the machines are not on a local network).
16 >Furthermore, each machine would have to run emerge locally to do the
17 >calculation of what packages need updating.
18 >
19 >This procedure is redundant because each machine is housing the same
20 >data and doing the same dependence-tree calculation. It should be
21 >possible to do this calculation on a centralized binhost and simply
22 >communicate the update information to the remote machines. They would
23 >then only have to download the .tbz2's and install them, keeping a tidy
24 >/var/db/pkg. Thus they avoid having to house the portage tree and
25 >burning cpu cycles that just calculate redundant information.
26 >
27 >I'm inspired here by OpenBSD's pkg_add which doesn't require all of
28 >ports to be installed, and mender which is a
29 >
30 >Any ideas?
33 well, I never did anything like that but regarding the dependency
34 calculation... how about something like
35
36 emerge -1OKanv $(qlist -CISq)
37
38 (--oneshot --nodeps --usepkgonly --ask --noreplace --verbose)
39
40 which simply omits dependency calculations, only takes into account
41 available binary packages and doesn't replace same versions?
42 Of course this requires all installed packages really being available as
43 binpkgs.
44 Since all the installations are the same, as long as you provide a sane
45 set of binpkgs, dependency calculation should not matter anyway.
46 The only issue I can think of is that a system might become broken if
47 the update gets interrupted before all packages have been updated.
48
49 Kind regards
52 Lars Wendler
53 Gentoo package maintainer
54 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39