From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:22:11
1 On 01/18/2018 07:34 AM, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > Hi Anthony,
3 >
4 [...]
5 >
6 > well, I never did anything like that but regarding the dependency
7 > calculation... how about something like
8 >
9 > emerge -1OKanv $(qlist -CISq)
10 >
11 > (--oneshot --nodeps --usepkgonly --ask --noreplace --verbose)
12 >
13 > which simply omits dependency calculations, only takes into account
14 > available binary packages and doesn't replace same versions?
15 > Of course this requires all installed packages really being available as
16 > binpkgs.
17 > Since all the installations are the same, as long as you provide a sane
18 > set of binpkgs, dependency calculation should not matter anyway.
19 > The only issue I can think of is that a system might become broken if
20 > the update gets interrupted before all packages have been updated.
21 >
22 > Kind regards
25 TTBOMK, this will fail also if there is a slot change. For instance,
26 with the recent autoconf-2.69 move from :0 to :2.69, dependency
27 resolution would have resulted softblock, thus removing :0 and then
28 merging :2.69 automatically. with a --nodeps, :2.69 would attempt to
29 merge without removing :0 for this package, resulting in an emerge failure.
32 NP-Hardass