From: Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:00:51
1 On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
5 > Hi everyone,
6 >
7 > I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo systems.
8 > Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
9 > approach.
10 >
11 > Unless there's some magic I don't know about (and this is why I'm
12 > sending this email) each machine still needs to have the portage tree
13 > installed locally (1.5 GB) or somehow mounted by a network filesystem
14 > (which is not practical if the machines are not on a local network).
15 > Furthermore, each machine would have to run emerge locally to do the
16 > calculation of what packages need updating.
17 >
18 > This procedure is redundant because each machine is housing the same
19 > data and doing the same dependence-tree calculation. It should be
20 > possible to do this calculation on a centralized binhost and simply
21 > communicate the update information to the remote machines. They would
22 > then only have to download the .tbz2's and install them, keeping a tidy
23 > /var/db/pkg. Thus they avoid having to house the portage tree and
24 > burning cpu cycles that just calculate redundant information.
25 >
26 > I'm inspired here by OpenBSD's pkg_add which doesn't require all of
27 > ports to be installed, and mender which is a
28 >
29 > Any ideas?
30
31 No ideas but I am interested in solutions. I am thinking/looking at updating
32 embedded devices.
33
34 Also, I guess you have the common problem with changes in /etc/ files which
35 needs to be kept in sync.
36
37 Jocke