From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:31:02
1 On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:27:44 -0500 Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | are you ever *for* something (that isnt vim or fluxbox?)
4
5 I'm for lots of things, but I generally don't bother commenting upon
6 things which are working and being done properly.
7
8 | use something that protects people now and
9 | help get your ideal solution done while having the bandaid in place,
10 | why leave a wound open till it is a fastering boil if you could have
11 | washed your hands and put a bandaid on?
12
13 I'm definitely not against having the ugly hack which might sometimes
14 protect you from certain kinds of stupidity available as an option for
15 users who want it. However, especially considering the side effects, I
16 don't see a good reason to change from the current situation. Anyone who
17 wants to use -fstack-protector can set it in their CFLAGS in make.conf,
18 nice and simple.
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm