From: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:22:28
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:54:55 -0400 John Richard Moser
4 ><nigelenki@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 >| I believe it would be a good idea to have such a FEATURES or USE flag
6 >| on by default in all profiles where SSP is supported. In this manner,
7 >| the major targets of security attacks would automatically be
8 >| protected; while still allowing the user to disable the protection if
9 >| the user desires. Users wanting more protection can simply add
10 >| -fstack-protector to CFLAGS, or use Hardened Gentoo.
11 >
12 >Personally, I don't see the point in an ugly hack which occasionally
13 >sort of protects you from badly written code... The option's there for
14 >anyone who really wants it, but we tend more towards a "turn most things
15 >off unless the user asks for them" approach, hence the relatively low
16 >number of things turned on in the default USE settings.
20 so basically you are saying instead of doing somehting you can do now,
21 you would prefer to sit back and complain about what is wrong with xyz,
22 are you ever *for* something (that isnt vim or fluxbox?), you seem to
23 always seem to have a "but..." in store for everything over people seem
24 to bring up. use something that protects people now and help get your
25 ideal solution done while having the bandaid in place, why leave a wound
26 open till it is a fastering boil if you could have washed your hands and
27 put a bandaid on?
30 >| Any comments? Would this be more suitable as a USE or a FEATURES
31 >| setting?
32 >
33 >FEATURES, not USE.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list