From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:59:51
1 2013/1/19 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
2
3 > On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:57:16 +0800
4 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Presently we already have a good number of split qt-* library packages
7 > > in x11-libs. With the arrival of Qt5 upstream has gone a lot further
8 > > in modularization, so we expect the number of packages to grow much
9 > > more. We, the Gentoo Qt team, are of the opinion that the time has
10 > > come to split all these out into their own category. This category is
11 > > to be used for the various modules and applications that belong to the
12 > > upstream Qt Framework only (these include e.g. assistant and
13 > > linguist). Third-party applications should remain in the current
14 > > categories.
15 > >
16 > > After some initial bikeshedding we came to the conclusion that naming
17 > > the category simply "qt" is the most elegant solution. We will then
18 > > also be dropping the qt- prefix in package names. This means
19 > > x11-libs/qt-core will be moved to qt/core, and so on.
20 > >
21 > > Please let us know your thought on this.
22 >
23 > Just a completely different idea -- how about putting those libraries
24 > into different categories appropriate to the topic? We have a bunch of
25 > categories like dev-libs, media-libs, etc. -- and I wonder how many of
26 > the Qt libs would fit into each of them.
27 >
28 > This would be the right thing to do, or the correct way.
29 Most would really hate it (me too)