From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting version-related tree policies
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 09:24:42
1 >>>>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2016, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 >> 1. Revision number must be no longer than 9999:
4 >> 1a. to make <=X-r9999 reliable,
5 >> 1b. to prevent pathological uses of revision as date.
6
7 > I think most the arguments you've made for this stem from subjective
8 > and social problems, not technical ones.
9
10 Exactly. That's why this is not intended for PMS but for the
11 devmanual. Developer time is one of our most valuable resources.
12
13 > I'd hate to be artificially limiting the utility of what can be done
14 > with "-r" versions just because *some* of those versions *may* be
15 > confusing for humans.
16
17 > I could just as easily argue that using -r200 and -r300 is
18 > "confusing", and that 1.2r-300 "could be a problem" and maybe we
19 > should abolish -r'vs entirely.
20
21 > The -r200 and -r300 were also not just arbitrary numbers, but they
22 > followed the slot version, and so the "-r" suffix was itself not
23 > purely a "X < Y", but also conveyed data about what it was for, and
24 > served as a predictable anti-collision mechanism ( due to the whole
25 > 2-slots-cant-have-identical-versions deal )
26
27 I think nobody is arguing against using r200 etc. for special
28 purposes.
29
30 > And as you know I was considering a similar strategy to be able
31 > to have several variations of the same perl virtual for upgrade
32 > reasons, but that would predictably have a much wider variety of
33 > '-r ' prefixes to represent the wider variety of significant Perl
34 > versions.
35
36 I would assume 9999 to be high enough, even if you use multiples of
37 100 to label the slot. Or do you expect having more than 100 slots for
38 Perl?
39
40 Ulrich