From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting version-related tree policies
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 08:49:33
1 On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 17:11:22 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 1. Revision number must be no longer than 9999:
5 > 1a. to make <=X-r9999 reliable,
6 > 1b. to prevent pathological uses of revision as date.
7
8 I think most the arguments you've made for this stem from subjective
9 and social problems, not technical ones.
10
11 I'd hate to be artificially limiting the utility of what can be done
12 with "-r" versions just because *some* of those versions *may* be
13 confusing for humans.
14
15 I could just as easily argue that using -r200 and -r300 is "confusing",
16 and that 1.2r-300 "could be a problem" and maybe we should abolish
17 -r'vs entirely.
18
19 The -r200 and -r300 were also not just arbitrary numbers, but they
20 followed the slot version, and so the "-r" suffix was itself not purely
21 a "X < Y", but also conveyed data about what it was for, and served as
22 a predictable anti-collision mechanism ( due to the whole
23 2-slots-cant-have-identical-versions deal )
24
25 And as you know I was considering a similar strategy to be able to have
26 several variations of the same perl virtual for upgrade reasons, but
27 that would predictably have a much wider variety of '-r ' prefixes to
28 represent the wider variety of significant Perl versions.
32 > 2. I think we could use a policy to make >=X_alpha reliable. However,
33 > I have no clue how to word it without making it weird and artificially
34 > restricting valid version numbers.