From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Soliciting input for a non-maintainer update (NMU) GLEP
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:08:02
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 03:04:11PM -0400, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > > - How should developers, herds & teams communicate how welcome they
3 > > are to NMU changes on their packages?
4 > The way I've been doing this is:
5 > - packages I maintain through herd -> go ahead and be responsible.
6 > - if I add myself explicitly in metadata.xml this means I prefer at
7 > least reviewing every change that gets in (with some exceptions for
8 > trivial changes, like e.g. qt moving category)
9 That's fine for packages in a herd, but doesn't scale, and doesn't
10 handle packages without a herd.
11
12 > > - How do we encourage responsible ownership of changes that cause
13 > > breakage? [1]
14 > That's something I'd like to get enlightened on. The, probably too
15 > emotional, algorithm that doesn't scale I've been applying has been:
16 Your portion is also if you are the one that found it. You might not be
17 the person that finds it.
20 Robin Hugh Johnson
21 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
22 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
23 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85