From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Soliciting input for a non-maintainer update (NMU) GLEP
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:04:28
1 Hi,
2
3 > I'm open to all input, but here's some initial questions I'd like to
4 > hear your answers to:
5 > - How should developers, herds & teams communicate how welcome they
6 > are to NMU changes on their packages?
7
8 The way I've been doing this is:
9 - packages I maintain through herd -> go ahead and be responsible.
10 - if I add myself explicitly in metadata.xml this means I prefer at
11 least reviewing every change that gets in (with some exceptions for
12 trivial changes, like e.g. qt moving category)
13
14 [...]
15 > - How do we encourage responsible ownership of changes that cause
16 > breakage? [1]
17
18 That's something I'd like to get enlightened on. The, probably too
19 emotional, algorithm that doesn't scale I've been applying has been:
20
21 1. ask the committer to fix the problem
22 2. wait
23 3. if no fix comes in a timely manner, fix it myself, be clear that I've
24 not liked it at all. Be a bit less polite in future steps 1. with
25 said developer.
26
27 Alexis.