From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:42:29
1 Having recently installed gentoo, I can see hwo it could get confusing
2 with DE specific profiles. Especially as a number of users that are new to
3 linux might very well have no idea what DE they're going to use. And the
4 same can be said for users who decided to run ubuntu "to try linux" and
5 then decide to go further.
6 having to choose a profile, gives less time for the wavering user, if you
7 ask me. Particularly because a number might well believe that having a DE
8 specific profile would restrict them to use such profiles.
9
10 Instead I'd say it's a better idea to give a suggestion of useflags in the
11 handbook for the different choices of DE's.
12
13 And also I don't thin it's relevant to talk about gentoo in relation to an
14 out-of-box experience. To me it seems to be counterproductive, being that
15 by creating an out-of-box experience would, intially at least, make
16 choices on the users behalf, which is against gentoo's philosophy as I
17 understand it.
18 The way I understand Gentoo, is it is a distro to allow freedom of choice,
19 whether it being a choice of having a graphical interface or a choice of
20 which graphical interface. And to aim for an out-of-box experience, is
21 counteracting that freedom, or rather, only allowing a choice of removing
22 it after the decision has already been made for you.
23
24 I don't think the developer profile should be removed however. There could
25 very well be users installing gentoo, with the purpose of getting involved
26 with developing gentoo. So the profile should be there, and it is well
27 enough documented as being geared towards developing gentoo, and not
28 developing in general.
31 > (New) users already find it confusing what the differences between
32 > profiles are (the number of users I've seen using a "developer" profile
33 > because they do some programming, for example*) and frankly I think
34 > having these extra profiles will make some users think you can only have
35 > one of kde or gnome.
36 >
37 > Why are we talking about "out of the box" with a distro that doesn't
38 > even come with a pre-compile kernel? Or X installed? Gentoo isn't an
39 > "out of the box" distro. If disabling use flags is considered too
40 > confusing for users, maybe the entire system needs to be revised.
43 > * Why is the developer profile even shown on "eselect profile"? Wouldn't
44 > it be better to keep "unsupported" profiles off this list. Surely Gentoo
45 > devs can cope with setting their profile manually in favor of a little
46 > sanity preservation for the rest of us?